How to Replace
Lost Passport 2012

how to replace lost passport guide

Discover here how to replace your lost passport so you do not miss your upcoming exciting trip. Lost or stolen passport 2012 requirements and application can be downloaded here.

Share and read the FAQ frequently asked questions from past visitors. It's important to know that replacing a lost passport only applies if it has not expired yet and it is not a child passport.

The following guide will give you simple steps to understanding and completing the necessary requirements. If you have any concerns after reading the guide below, simple ask your question in the FAQ section to receive assistance.

US Lost Passport Application Form

When you are reporting a lost or stolen passport, unfortunately it is required to fill out two different applications. The application link here will take you to the online application at the US Department of State Travel site.

Once you select "How to Replace Lost Passport", it will give you the instructions to fill out the DS-11 application for a new passport. It will also give you the link to the DS-64 which you use to report your lost passport. Fortunately, the DS-64 is relatively easy to fill out.

While you are filling out the online DS-11, it will ask if you need expedite processing or regular. If you need your passport fast then contact one of the passport expedite services below and they will be able to help you quickly.

Important Note: The last step of the online application can be a bit confusing. For some reason, they have different options to choose from which can not only sidetrack you but you might accidentally lose all your work. Scroll down the page and on the bottom left corner you will see the "Create Form" button. Click there to save your work and create your form.

Lost or Stolen Passport Requirements

Follow the requirements below to prepare everything needed to go along with the above applications.

  • Since you will need to go to the post office so the acceptance agent can look over your applications, you can have your passport-style photograph taken while you are there.
  • You will need to submit a copy of your valid driver's license along with the rest of the documents.
  • If you were born in the US, you will need to include your certified or original birth certificate. Don't worry, the Passport Agency sends it back when you get the passport. If you were not born in the US, you will need to submit an original document that shows proof of citizenship.
  • The regular processing fee is $110 and you pay the US Department of State with your personal check. A $25 execution fee also needs to be paid to the post office.

    If you are in a hurry to get your passport, you have the option of paying $170 instead of $110. Using the expedite process will take 2-3 weeks usually. If you need it faster then that, inquire with the passport expedite services listed below so they can help you out.

  • After you have double checked to make sure you have all the required documents together, you will need to go to your local post office. Make sure not to sign your applications until the acceptance agent first looks over all of the documents.

Travel Passport Expedite Services

There are numerous passport expedite services available. Take some time to read reviews to make sure you are hiring a reputable company to handle your travel documents.

I recommend FastPort Passport Service. Since 2003 Fastport has provided online passport expedite service. They are a registered courier service with the U.S. Department of State, foreign consulates and embassies which enables them to secure passports and visas for U.S. citizens nationwide as needed.

Do you need a Rush passport within 24 hours? Fastest Passport Processors on the Net!

FAQ Lost Passports Frequently Asked

If my lost passport has expired, do I need to report it still? You do not need to worry if your lost passport has already expired. Make a note of it on the new passport application. Even if you don't know the old number then it should not be a problem.

I can't find my passport and my trip is coming up soon...what should I do? The Passport Agency has an expedite option which usually takes 2-3 weeks. If you need it faster then contact one of the passport expedite services above. They can sometimes get you a passport with just 24 hour processing.

International Travel Reviews

I highly recommend TripAdvisor to seek out travel reviews after reading the reviews of past travelers here.

You can read TripAdvisor's Top 10 Bargain Hotels in the World guide to help plan your thrilling overseas adventure!

International Flight Comparisons

After learning how to replace your lost passport and getting ready to plan your exciting vacation, you will need to do some flight comparisons. Do try to keep in mind not just price comparisons but also taking a look at the overall flight time. Some international flights have long wait times with transfers which can be quite the strain on your patience.

Additional Requirements for lost or stolen passports

Passport Visa Travelers Guide

Author's Google Travel Article Profile

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.

Be a Facebook Fan of

Share on Tumblr

Click Here to Get Your
Passport and Visa Fast!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Most Popular Pages Today

Only $99, US Passports in 24hrs. Same Day Service

Sierra Club